The retail store has provided you with a list of some of the business rules that they use to conduct business on a daily basis. The company has also provided you with the subjects of interest to them, namely those things that the company wants to track in the process of taking orders from their customers. What can be done to effectively document the relational database system solution that you are proposing to the retail store?
Click here to see worked examples.
The project deliverables are as follows:
- Subjects of Interest (proposed entities)
- Add a minimum of 3 of your own subjects of interest based on your retail store.
- Business Rules
- Each product is assigned to a maximum of 1 category.
- A person who has placed at least 1 order is a customer.
- All products have a minimum reorder level.
- Add a minimum of 3 of your own business rules based on your retail store.
- Entity–Relationship Model (4–5 pages)
- Include a list of the business rules that will be enforced by the proposed database system.
- Include a list or table of the entities, attributes (including data types), relationships, and cardinality constraints.
- Include an entity–relationship (E–R) diagram that uses crow’s foot notation and graphically depicts the entities, attributes (including data types), and relationships (including degree and cardinality constraints).
- Verify that the data design that is depicted in the E–R diagram adheres to a minimum of third normal form (3NF), and if necessary, provide documentation and justification for the use of a higher level of normal form.
- Provide your analysis as to how this part of the project fulfills the mission and 1 or more goals of the case study organization.
- Note: Use Microsoft Visio or equivalent to create the E–R diagram. You will embed the diagram in the Word document and also provide it as an attachment.
- All sources should be cited both in-text and in References using APA format.
primary task response
Primary Discussion Response is due by Friday (11:59:59pm Central), Peer Responses are due by Tuesday (11:59:59pm Central).
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions (listed below) with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
Before you start this assignment, please read the story entitled Home Health Aids Database. This can be found in the Relational Database Modeling MUSE. This can also be found in your text materials for Week 2.
This is a direct link to Home Health Aids Database.
After reviewing the story, conduct research online into the various possibilities for analyzing and approaching the system documentation problems that are presented, and propose possible solutions. Address the following:
- Discuss the specific recommendations that you would make based on your personal experience and research.
- Discuss what effective communication processes are and how technology can be used to facilitate communication.
- Provide specific examples of how you would address the communication problems mentioned in the story and how your problem-solving technique could be implemented for the company mentioned in the story.
- How can you apply the lessons that you learned from the story to your own retail store problem?
- Provide feedback on the problem-solving recommendations that your classmates made.